About weekokchiang

This author has not yet filled in any details.
So far weekokchiang has created 52 blog entries.

Why Do Migrant Workers Pay Thousands of Dollars to Work in Singapore?

Migrant workers from countries like Myanmar often pay significant sums to secure employment in Singapore, hoping for better opportunities. Unfortunately, many face unexpected challenges upon arrival. The Case of Pyae Sone Pyae Sone, a 21-year-old from Myanmar, left his botany studies to support his family. He paid a Yangon-based agency S$5,800 for a kitchen assistant [...]

2024-07-17T14:37:38+08:00July 17th, 2024|News, Useful Articles|

Boosting Business Through Tourism

He Quan, a 35-year-old private driver based in Lijiang, Yunnan, spends eight hours daily transporting passengers to the province’s renowned attractions, such as snow-capped mountains, scenic lakes, and deep gorges. Although He did not disclose his earnings, it is understood that each trip ranges from 150 to 1,000 yuan (US$21 to US$140). Known as “Ah [...]

2024-06-25T20:30:30+08:00June 25th, 2024|News|

Domestic Helper Caught Moonlighting and Theft

A domestic helper in Singapore has been sentenced to seven months and one week in jail after moonlighting illegally and stealing over S$23,000 (US$17,000) from a customer. Elvira Cadila Orlanes Ordonez, a 46-year-old Filipina, was convicted on June 18 for one count of theft and two counts under the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act, with [...]

2024-06-18T18:34:01+08:00June 18th, 2024|Maids, News|

Work Pass Privileges Suspended for Singapore Employers

Two retail employers in Singapore, who persistently underpaid their employees despite multiple warnings from the Ministry of Manpower (MOM), are now barred from applying for or renewing work passes for foreign workers until they correct the underpayments. According to a statement by MOM on June 6, these employers have been underpaying a total of 12 [...]

2024-06-06T17:04:49+08:00June 6th, 2024|News|

Extension of Stay in Singapore

Upon arrival in Singapore, your passport will receive a Visit Pass indicating the end date of your permitted stay. Typically, this grants you a 30-day period, after which you are required to depart the country. However, the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority offers the option to apply for a one-time extension of stay for an additional [...]

2024-02-16T17:55:11+08:00February 16th, 2024|Useful Articles|

Guide to APEC Business Travel Card

The APEC Business Travel Card in Singapore simplifies business trips across the Asia-Pacific region. Bid farewell to handling multiple visas and welcome expedited entry. This guide delineates the transformation of arduous travel into a seamless experience for professionals, covering eligibility, advantages, and the application process. Are you a frequent business traveler to the Asia-Pacific region? [...]

2024-02-02T17:57:52+08:00February 2nd, 2024|Useful Articles|

Visa-Free Entry Between Singapore and China Starts on 9 Feb

Singapore and China have officially endorsed a 30-day mutual visa-free entry for their citizens, marking the formalization of a proposal announced nearly two months ago. The agreement was signed on Thursday (Jan 25) by government representatives from both nations, and it takes effect on Feb 9, coinciding with the eve of Chinese New Year, as [...]

2024-01-26T13:23:45+08:00January 26th, 2024|News|

Applying Visa to Singapore

If you are considering a trip to Singapore and require a visa, this article provides comprehensive information on the Singapore visa application process. A Singapore visa grants entry to the country through a designated point of entry, where Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) officers conduct checks to determine if the visitor meets the entry requirements. [...]

2024-01-19T16:50:52+08:00January 19th, 2024|Useful Articles|

Illegal Employment Cases

Ker Eng Kiat, a 52-year-old Singaporean, and his brother, Ker Eng Hock, a 53-year-old Singaporean, have been convicted of illegal employment offenses under the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act 1990 (EFMA). Eng Kiat, previously convicted in 2013 for similar offenses, received a sentence of one month's imprisonment and a $23,000 fine (with a default of [...]

2024-01-11T18:28:26+08:00January 11th, 2024|News|

Singapore and China announced intention to establish visa exemption agreement

On Thursday, December 7, Singapore and China jointly announced their intention to establish a 30-day mutual visa exemption agreement as part of an effort to enhance people-to-people exchanges, taking advantage of improved flight connectivity in the post-pandemic era. This proposal was unveiled during the 19th Joint Council for Bilateral Cooperation (JCBC) meeting, the highest-level annual [...]

2024-01-05T17:32:09+08:00January 5th, 2024|News|
Go to Top