To work in Singapore, individuals must obtain a Singapore work permit or pass that aligns with their skill set or intended work.

If you are required to travel to Singapore for a short-term work assignment lasting up to 60 days, you will need to acquire a Miscellaneous Work Pass.

Eligibility for a Miscellaneous Work Pass

Foreign nationals who fall under the following categories are eligible to obtain a Miscellaneous Work Pass:

  • Organizers of seminars, conferences, workshops, or gatherings related to religious, racial, or political topics, serving as speakers, moderators, facilitators, or trainers.
  • Religious workers delivering talks related to religion.
  • Reporters, journalists, or crew members covering events or writing stories in Singapore.

Conditions of the Miscellaneous Work Pass

  • The Miscellaneous Work Pass requires sponsorship or employment by a Singapore-based organization or society.
  • Holders of the pass can only work for a maximum of 60 days.
  • Work is limited to the specific venue and date mentioned in the application made by the employer or sponsor.
  • Any changes to the event, such as the date, program, venue, or outline, must be notified to the Ministry of Manpower at least one month in advance.
  • The Miscellaneous Work Pass is not renewable.
  • Employers are exempt from paying a monthly levy for pass holders and are not subject to quotas on the number of Miscellaneous Work Pass holders they hire.

Requirements for a Miscellaneous Work Pass

When applying for a Miscellaneous Work Pass, the employer or sponsor must submit several supporting documents, including:

  • Completed and signed Miscellaneous Work Pass Application Form.
  • A passport-sized photo of the applicant adhering to Singapore’s photo requirements, affixed to the Application Form.
  • Detailed event outline/synopsis (if applicable).
  • Photocopy of the applicant’s passport personal details page.
  • Photocopy of the sponsoring or employing company/organization’s most recent business profile, instant information, or registration papers. The company must be registered with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA).

All submitted documents must be in English. If not, the original documents must be submitted along with an official translation.

Application Process for a Miscellaneous Work Pass

The sponsor or employer in Singapore must submit the Miscellaneous Work Pass application on behalf of the applicant. This should be done at least two months before the intended travel date, and the applicant does not need to be present in Singapore during the application or processing period.

The applicant should travel to Singapore only after the application has been approved.

Prior to submitting the application, the applicant must provide a letter of consent to the employer or sponsor, granting them permission to apply for the Miscellaneous Work Pass on their behalf and, if applicable, agreeing to be employed by them.

The consent letter must be presented when submitting the application at a SingPost branch (Singapore’s post offices).

The application process for the Miscellaneous Work Pass involves the following steps:

  • The employer or sponsor downloads, completes, and signs the Miscellaneous Work Pass Application Form, available on the Ministry of Manpower’s website.
  • The necessary documents listed on the application form are included.
  • The application form and supporting documents are submitted over the counter at a SingPost branch.
  • The application processing fee must be paid, and the payment receipt must be kept as proof of submission.
  • If applying for multiple passes, an individual fee must be paid for each pass.

The processing time for a Miscellaneous Work Pass application is typically around two months, which is why it is crucial to apply in advance. However, the employer/sponsor can use the Ministry of Manpower’s online application system to check the status of the application within one week.

Once the application is approved, an approval letter will be emailed to the contact person specified by the employer.

In addition to the Miscellaneous Work Pass, a Short Term Visit Pass will also be required, which will be issued by the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) upon arrival in Singapore. If subject to Singapore visas, a Singapore visa application must be submitted to gain entry to Singapore.

Note: The Miscellaneous Work Pass has replaced the previous Professional Visit Pass (PVP) for Singapore. Performing artists who were previously eligible for the PVP must now apply for a Work Permit for Performing Artiste instead.


If you have any company-related queries, you may email us at [email protected]. When in doubt, seek legal advice or consult an experienced licensed Employment Agency with the Ministry of Manpower.

Yours Sincerely,
The editorial team at Singapore Employment Agency

For more useful articles and videos, visit the Singapore Employment Agency resource page.
If you would like to submit a question or would like us to do an article on certain topics, please email us at [email protected].

Little Big Employment Agency Pte Ltd is a licensed Employment Agency with the Ministry of Manpower with license number 19C9790.