Both Dependant’s Pass (DP) and Long-Term Visit Pass (LTVP) are residential visas and cannot be used as work visas. However, there are three options available for DP or LTVP holders who wish to work in Singapore:

Option 1: Pre-approved Letter of Consent (PLOC) The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) in Singapore has introduced the Pre-approved Letter of Consent scheme. This allows eligible LTVP-Plus holders to legally work in Singapore. During the application or renewal of your LTVP with the Immigrant and Checkpoints Authority, you have the option to apply for a PLOC. Unlike the Letter of Consent (LOC), the PLOC is approved without reference to any specific employer. With a PLOC, you can apply for jobs in any company, and the selected company can employ you based on the PLOC without requiring additional paperwork or approvals.

To be eligible for a PLOC, you must fulfill one of the following conditions:

  • You are the legally married spouse of a Singaporean or Singapore permanent resident.
  • You are an unmarried child below 21 years of age of a permanent resident or citizen in Singapore.
  • You hold an LTVP or LTVP+ issued by ICA.

A PLOC offers flexibility for individuals who want to find work on their own schedule. PLOC holders can switch jobs easily without needing to re-apply for a PLOC when changing employers. The validity of a PLOC is the same as your LTVP and can be renewed along with your Long Term Visit Pass. However, PLOC holders are not allowed to work in certain restricted occupations, such as editor, journalist, producer, or religion-related occupations.

Option 2: Letter of Consent (LOC) The Letter of Consent (LOC) is issued by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) in Singapore and allows DP or LTVP/LTVP+ holders to work legally in Singapore. Singapore-registered companies can hire an unlimited number of employees under LOCs, making LOC holders attractive prospects for employment.

To be eligible for an LOC, you must meet the following conditions:

  • You are a dependant of an Employment Pass, Entrepreneur Pass, or Personalised Employment Pass holder, or you hold an LTVP-Plus connected to a Singaporean or Singapore PR (Note: LTVP holders dependent on a Singapore Employment Pass holder do not qualify).
  • The remaining validity of your DP must be at least three months, or LTVP must be at least four months from the application date.
  • You have secured a job with a Singapore-incorporated company.
  • LTVP holders accompanying a child studying in Singapore cannot work in their first year. After a year, they can find employment, and their employer can apply for an LOC on their behalf.

If an employer finds a suitable DP or LTVP holder for a position, the company can apply for an LOC for that person. Once approved, the individual can start working for the company. The LOC application process is straightforward, and the approval rate is generally good. However, additional documents may be required for certain professions, such as pharmacists, therapists, healthcare professionals, regional representatives, lawyers, football coaches and players, and traditional Chinese medicine practitioners. The processing time for an LOC application is a minimum of three weeks, and you can start working as soon as you receive your LOC.

Option 3: Employment Pass (EP) DP or LTVP holders can also apply for an Employment Pass (EP) in Singapore if the employing company is willing to submit the application on their behalf. There are several advantages to obtaining an EP as a DP or LTVP holder, such as the ability to hold a directorial position in a Singapore-incorporated company and independence in continuing work even if the work visa of the family member you are dependent on expires.

However, the requirements for DP or LTVP holders to obtain an EP are more stringent. To be eligible for an EP, you must:

  • Earn a minimum monthly salary of S$5,000 if you are a fresh graduate. Older professionals with more experience are expected to earn higher salaries.
  • Have relevant professional experience.
  • Hold a tertiary degree from a reputable university. Professionals with significant experience and high salaries may not be required to provide formal education documents.

Your Singapore employer will need to submit the following documents on your behalf for the EP application:

  • Completed EP Application Form 8, endorsed by your employing company in Singapore.
  • Copies of your educational documents and the latest resume.
  • Copy of the personal information page of your passport.
  • Copy of the business profile of your employing company in Singapore.
  • Detailed job description and duties.
  • Comprehensive description of the products and activities of the employing company in Singapore.

EP applications are typically processed within three weeks, although applications from professionals in specialized industries such as law, medical services, financial services, sports, and media may take longer due to additional approvals required from regulatory associations governing these professions. An EP is valid for two years and can be renewed.

It is essential to consider and understand these options in detail to determine which one is the most suitable for your circumstances before proceeding with an application.


If you have any company-related queries, you may email us at [email protected]. When in doubt, seek legal advice or consult an experienced licensed Employment Agency with the Ministry of Manpower.

Yours Sincerely,
The editorial team at Singapore Employment Agency

For more useful articles and videos, visit the Singapore Employment Agency resource page.
If you would like to submit a question or would like us to do an article on certain topics, please email us at [email protected].

Little Big Employment Agency Pte Ltd is a licensed Employment Agency with the Ministry of Manpower with license number 19C9790.