The employment pass is issued to foreign professionals with a job offer in Singapore who meet the eligibility criteria.
Who is eligible
The Employment Pass is for foreign professionals who:
- Have a job offer in Singapore.
- Work in a managerial, executive or specialised job.
- Earn a fixed monthly salary of at least $3,600 (more experienced candidates need higher salaries).
- Have acceptable qualifications, usually a good university degree, professional qualifications or specialist skills.
Application for an Employment Pass is open to all nationalities.
Note on salaries:
- Young graduates from good institutions can qualify if they earn at least $3,600.
- Older, more experienced candidates need higher salaries to qualify.
Note on acceptable qualifications:
- The Ministry of Manpower does not have a list of approved institutions. Instead, they evaluate each application on its own merit, based on a wide range of criteria such as global and country rankings, and enrolment standards.
- Candidates without acceptable qualifications may not necessarily be rejected. Similarly, having acceptable qualifications does not guarantee approval.
- They look at other factors such as proven track records and exceptional skill sets on a case-by-case basis.
What is the duration
The duration of the pass is as follows:
- First-time candidates: up to 2 years
- Renewals: up to 3 years
Passes for family
As an Employment Pass holder, you can get certain family members to join you in Singapore if you meet the eligibility requirements.
To be eligible, you need to:
- Earn at least $6,000 a month.
- Hold an Employment Pass.
These are the family members you can bring in and the type of pass they need:
|Family member||Pass type|
|Legally married spouse||Dependant’s Pass|
|Unmarried children under 21, including those legally adopted||Dependant’s Pass|
|Common-law spouse||Long Term Visit Pass|
|Unmarried handicapped children above 21||Long Term Visit Pass|
|Unmarried step-children under 21||Long Term Visit Pass|
(Only for EP holders earning at least $12,000)
|Long Term Visit Pass|
The application for such passes can be submitted together with the Employment Pass application or separately.
Documents required for Employment Pass
You need to submit documents such as copies of passport details and educational certificates along with the Employment Pass application.
You will need these documents to apply for an Employment Pass:
- Personal particulars page of the candidate’s passport.
- Company’s latest business profile or instant information registered with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA).
- Candidate’s educational certificates, e.g. degree certificate. You will need additional documents for:
Qualifications from Additional documents needed India
China Verification proof for diploma and above qualifications.
- You can get the verification proof directly in English from sources such as Dataflow, China Higher Education Student Information and Career Center or China Academic Degrees & Graduate Education Information.
- Education certificates certified by a notary public are not accepted as a form of verification proof.
The Ministry of Manpower may ask for other documents when we review your application.
If you are asked for the verification proof of your candidate’s qualifications, you can get it from Dataflow or other global verification agencies. Alternatively, if the verification agency or educational institute has an online instant verification portal, you can submit the screenshot and web page address showing the verification result.
To apply for an Employment Pass, you will need to follow the following steps:
(Steps 1 to 4 can be done by the applicant outside of Singapore)
Step 1: Access whether you are eligible for an Employment Pass.
Step 2: Check that you have the full set of documents required for the application.
Step 3: Fill up the following forms.
Here is a guide on how to fill the forms.
(YouTube video coming soon)
If your family members are eligible for relevant passes like dependant passes, you may choose to do the application concurrently. You may also do the application after your application has been approved.
Once the application is approved (in-principle approval), you can travel to Singapore.
Step 5: Make payment within 6 months of in-principle approval, register fingerprints and photograph and the Employment Pass will be issued to you.
|Type Of Pass||Fee|
|Employment Pass New Application||SGD$600|
|Employment Pass Renewal||SGD$300|
|Employment Pass Issuance||SGD$830|
|Dependent Pass New Application (Main Pass Holder: Employment Pass)||SGD$300|
|Dependent Pass Renewal (Main Pass Holder: Employment Pass)||SGD$150|
|Dependent Pass Issuance (Main Pass Holder: Employment Pass)||SGD$500|